Tuesday, July 7, 2009

June 29-30, 2009

"Dam, Canyon"

We drove pretty much all day through California, Nevada, and Arizona to about an hour from The Grand Canyon. We drove through the outskirts of Vegas, but I couldn't convince Shelby to stop there. She has better judgment than I do, so I acquiesced. Soon we found ourselves in view of Lake Powell. When we got to the Hoover Dam, traffic was slow (worse coming the other direction) so Shelby told me to hop out and I walked across the dam, while she drove and waited on the other side. Almost as impressive as the dam was seeing the incomplete suspension bridge they were building above. It is sad to think that this bridge will reduce the slow, wonder filled stroll of a drive on the dam to a quick, 30 sec flash over the canyon. No driver will ever be able to see the dam from there, without taking his eyes off the road and ending up in the Colorado River.



As we approached the Grand Canyon, it was getting late. We camped about an hour away and got up the next morning to see it bright and early. We stopped at just about every overlook on the road leading through the park even though we were kind of Canyoned-out by the 4th or 5th. It was really hot. That said it was amazing and pictures don't do it justice. It's one of those natural wonders that I think only the ability to fly would do justice to. Like clouds. I think the only way to really appreciate a cloud is to fly in and out of it like Peter Pan, Wendy and the boys do, in that one scene from the Disney movie. I found myself wishing I had a hang glider or wings. I also think it'd be cool to see from a raft, which with the price and wait list for reservations is tantamount to growing wings.

The next stop on our list was Pietown, NM. Guess what we were hoping to find there.

1 comment:

  1. I continue to love reading all about your travels. Looks like so much fun! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete